Different inputs for RECAST

Hi,

in view of a recent @lcorpe’s question I’d like to ask a more general one.

Every analysis has its own input file(s) stored in /eos/project/r/recast/atlas/. In our RECAST jobs we feed these files to the analysis code and then to some downstream tools. Is it enough to show that I can run the entire workflow on these files? Or should I provide some means to feed different inputs to the jobs, e.g. private files, not under /eos/project/r/recast/atlas/? Should I provide a possibility to plug in some benchmark points we don’t even have in the analysis (with different masses, lifetimes etc.)? In general, to what extent should we be flexible with new inputs? Is the policy to deal with all of this described anywhere? I could only find something relevant here:

3. Before group sign-off, capture full workflow for 1 signal.

So, one signal (the one under /eos/project/r/recast/atlas/) is enough then?

Thanks!

So, one signal (the one under /eos/project/r/recast/atlas/ ) is enough then

Yes. Though to be clear, a major point of RECAST is the ability to use different files, so you shouldn’t be hardcoding anything into your analysis with regards to the files that are on EOS. So the answer to

Should I provide a possibility to plug in some benchmark points we don’t even have in the analysis (with different masses, lifetimes etc.)?

is also yes.

Hi Matthew,

thanks for your reply!

But it’s still okay to hardcode the name and the path to the input file in the steps.yml as people did in e.g.
https://gitlab.cern.ch/recast-atlas/susy/ana-susy-2018-31/-/blob/master/recast.yml#L17
, right? And is it safe to assume that this input file (or input files) of interest will always be on EOS? Or should we cover the case of input file(s) located locally?

Thanks!

But it’s still okay to hardcode the name and the path to the input file in the steps.yml

And is it safe to assume that this input file (or input files) of interest will always be on EOS?

@ysmirnov Correct. Sorry, I probably came across too zealous with my original statement. I didn’t mean to sow confusion there.

If you’re looking for some additional inspiration/examples, I would also suggest checking out the recast.yml for ANA-EXOT-2020-04 which RECAST expert @damacdon did a great job putting together. :+1: (Though I should also be working on making the docs clearer.)